I found some good MIDI tracks for New Order’s Bizzare Love Triangle, which could be great for remixing, so I used Bandstand and Audacity to create the individual tracks. The trick was to record the output from Bandstand with Audacity, after some fiddling around, this is the setup that I came up with, notice the routing via the Virtual Audio Cable in the Audacity settings below:
One of the neat thing that one can do with the Mackie 1640i, is using the Aux Send via Firewire to create a effects loop – just like with an analogue console (which it is), the only difference is no actual wiring is involved.
There are just a few steps required to do this:
- Press down the “Sends 1-6 to FW 9-14” button above the Aux SENDS pots.
- Create a channel in the DAW (I’m using Reaper), set its Input to any of the FW channels (9-14), depending on which AUX SEND you are using.
- Add the effect or effects that you want to the newly created channel, e.g., reverb, compressor, etc. Arm the channel for recoding, and set the Record Monitoring to On to hear or record the effect. I just set the output to the Main Mix, but you can always add it to a sub-group if desired.
- That’s it, just like with an analogue console, now you can control the level, EQ of the Fx by playing with the channel fader and/or the Aux Send levels.
- For those of you that want to get fancy, you can also automate the Fx by using the functions inside the DAW, but I’m happy just to twiddle with the knobs…